Prepare For Your Marking Event
Keep It Clean! Help us protect our city's waterways from pollution by placing storm drain markers in your neighborhood.
To ensure that you're upcoming storm drain marking event is a success, use the checklists below to get to know you're work area, organize volunteers and document your efforts.
Before your event:
- If you haven't already, Click Here to order supplies and confirm the area you would like to work in.
- Once you've selected a location, take a quick walk around noting the location of inlets and any potential traffic hazards.
- If you come across any problems on site, call 311 to report them as soon as possible.
- Complete any required forms and pick-up your supplies.
- Please note that all volunteers will be required to sign a release form before participating.
- Review the instructions for properly installing your storm drain markers by Clicking Here.
- Check the Weather!
- Markers can only be installed when the temperature is above 45°F and when curbs and sidewalks are completely dry.
Day of storm drain marking:
- Designate a Team Captain(s) to lead and organize groups of volunteers.
- Philadelphia Water recommends having one Team Captain for every five particpants.
- Give your volunteers a quick demonstration on how to install the markers.
- Check the maps provided with your supplies to make sure your volunteers are marking the correct drains in your community.
- Post your work on social media!
- Use #cleanwatersPHL on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Update Philadelphia Water on your efforts and return any unused materials.